\ Hip Displeasure: Loog » Memoir » "How The Hell..." Chapter 1

Hip Displeasure Logo Hip Displeasure Title

An independent music and pop culture commentary collective.

ChatRSSObnerhipdispleasure@gmail.com

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Loog » Memoir » "How The Hell..." Chapter 1



"How the Hell Did I End Up Passed Out in Ken Stabler's Motel Room?!?"
Chapter 1 - Band of Horses Outgallop MMJ

Much of my day to day is spent navigating the highways and biways of the Great State of Alabama, or as I have dubbed it "The Tree Tunnel." So much time, in fact, is spent between Mobile and Montgomery on I-65, that I know every exit (my favorite is 107, which reads Grace and GARland, which I feel may be my spiritual home) and can even tell you where I am based on smell (Lowndes County has the waft of paper mills, somewhere around Evergreen you get the funk of what I can only guess is Alabama's biggest landfil)

So, from slow and sweet Josh Rouse tunes in the morning to the loosy-goosey, early morning stoned pimp vibe of The Deadstring Brothers, to the Bass of 6, head knockin shit of the King of The South, much of my taste in music is shaped by what is good for listening on the road.

I will be dedicating my next few posts to Road Staples and songs you gotta have for driving in the country with the windows down and the speakers cranked (with a heavy assist from such Obnerd staples as Yail "Consistently the Funniest Dude I Know" Bloor and Billy "Uncle Monger" Radlciffe.

This week I had the distinct pleasure of discovering The Band of Horses, and in particular the song "The Funeral." Derris put this on after a long day of boating and drinking at last weekend's Fourth of July No Pants Clambake, after he told me "Dude, playing The Rolling Stones 1976 World Tour Rehearsal Tapes is punishable by DEATH in this state."

BoH are often compared to, or slandered as, cheap-jack My Morning Jacket imitators, and I have been the subject of much derision of late from such people as Hip D's feared, iron-fisted ruler/Lummox in Chief Sir Bob Bland, for saying that "The Funeral my be better than any song MMJ has ever written." And, with the exception of "Mahgeeta" or "Off the Record," this week's back-to-back-to-back listenings bears this fact out. (As an aside I once spent the entire 3 hour drive from The Doktor's house in Philly all the way back to Washington, DC listening to R.E.M.'s "It's the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine)" so it is really nothing for me to listen to a song three, or even five, times in a row.)

So, though it is moody and has that echo-y, recorded in a barn sound, and many of the songs are slow burns as opposed to balls out rockers, BoH is definitely road worn and weary, but worth the time.

3 Comments:

Blogger DumpJack said...

Looking forward to more of the Road Tales, Loog.

12:05 PM  
Blogger FT (Bob Bland) said...

I am adopting "Lummox-in-Chief" as my offical title, from this point forward.

And you shall be "Oaf of State."

1:07 PM  
Blogger Loog said...

Thanks guys. I was a bit hung the fuck over while posting this...there is much more to come.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home