\ Hip Displeasure: FT » Music » Donald Fagen - "Rhymes"

Hip Displeasure Logo Hip Displeasure Title

An independent music and pop culture commentary collective.

ChatRSSObnerhipdispleasure@gmail.com

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

FT » Music » Donald Fagen - "Rhymes"

I've been a huge Steely Dan fan for decades (yeah, I'm old), but while I've gleaned some mild enjoyment from the 21st Century Dan, they seem to be stuck in too mellow of a groove. And although the vast majority of the latest solo album from Donald Fagen -- Morph the Cat -- remains comfortably ensconsed in aural velvet, the album's closing track packs an unexpected wallop straight from the glory days of Stax. If I didn't know any better (and I'm too lazy to look up the liner notes), I'd swear this was a Staple Singers song with Fagen sitting in for Pops. It's nice to be able to respect myself again and openly admit that Steely makes me happy. Yeah, I know this is officially solo Fagen, but I need to come up with some forced references to keep all of my forced acronyms company.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home