\ Hip Displeasure: Hip-D PodBlast » Staff Inflection » v1.0

Hip Displeasure Logo Hip Displeasure Title

An independent music and pop culture commentary collective.

ChatRSSObnerhipdispleasure@gmail.com

Friday, July 28, 2006

Hip-D PodBlast » Staff Inflection » v1.0

Saturday Looks Good To Me - "Parking Lot Blues"
"This is Saturday Looks Good To Me at their best, forgoing what critics once described as a 'Fisher-Price turntable under water sound' for this loose and good-time summer jangle. If this don't make you wanna get up and shake DAT ASS, you might as well go ahead and call Quincy to throw your lifeless corpse in the back of his station wagon, so Sam can proceed with carving you up...'cause honey, you ain't got no pulse!" - FT

Gene Vincent - "Cat Man"
"Better hide your sister, indeed. Vincent's "Cat Man" prowls the wholesome streets in search of late 50s goodies sequestered behind some formidable undergarments, while guitarist Cliff Gallup lays down a damn near perfect riff that darts menacingly on the trail of the Cat Man's mark. This was Gallups last recording with Vincent & the Blue Caps. He soon quit to become a school janitor." - Elvis Fu

Ray LaMontagne - "Crazy"
"I asked Jeeves how many artists have covered Gnarls Barkley's 'Crazy' thus far and, well, Jeeves didn't have a clear cut answer for me, but I know it's a few. So, why would you care about another version of a song you're probably thisclose to tossing into the 'overexposed' used CD bin in your mind? Jeeves didn't have an answer for that either, actually... but I'll throw out a reason; this is Ray LaMontagane. Not enough for you? Fine you heartless, cynical bastard; this is Ray LaMontagne being Ray LaMontagne. He covered a song steps away from his genre and made it his own backwoods Van Morrison/folk/rock/guy and guitar/blah blah blah creation. You may think that's boring. Or you may dig it for what it is, happily add it to your iTunes collection and forget it's a cover the next time it's played." - stacey

Prince Far I - "Johnny Get Worse"
"When one thinks of the great sounds of Jamaica , most will think of the echo soaked bass of dub or Ska's skanking guitar. Some may even site the extraordinary and unique niyabinghi drummers. Such a pity then that The Voice of Thunder remains relatively unrecognised. The Voice of Thunder belonged to Michael Williams, better known to the world as Prince Far-I, and as the moniker might suggest it was truly a force of nature." - Darrin Frew

Neutral Milk Hotel - "Holland, 1945"
"A few months ago, I was sitting on my friend's bed and he grabbed an album for us to listen to. He issued this disclaimer, 'You're either going to love it or hate it.' I quickly figured out that I love Neutral Milk Hotel. By the time 'Holland, 1945' started playing, I was grinning from ear to ear and fighting back tears of happiness. I have no idea what the hell this song is about. The production isn't great... every time I hear it, I think my speakers are on the verge of blowing up and Jeff Mangum's voice definitely leaves much to be desired. For some reason, though, this song makes me want to fall in love and skip down a street while holding my lover's hand. I want to sing along at the top of my lungs and just know that everything is right in my world." - jasmine

New York Dolls - "Runnin' Around"
Submitted by Yail Bloor sans blurb.

T. Rex - "The Street And Babe Shadow"
Submitted by OPA! sans blurb.

Johnny Cash - "God's Gonna Cut You Down"
"The Man in Black, the voice, the last album, the dark subject matter, and still the handclaps add a whole new dimension to the timeleass sound of JR Cash. He may be gone, but I'll never be able to forget him." - Loog

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home