\ Hip Displeasure: jasmine » Music » Metallica - "The Unforgiven"

Hip Displeasure Logo Hip Displeasure Title

An independent music and pop culture commentary collective.

ChatRSSObnerhipdispleasure@gmail.com

Thursday, July 06, 2006

jasmine » Music » Metallica - "The Unforgiven"

"you labeled me, i labeled you!!!!!!"

would you believe that i'm too lazy to get up and turn off "the unforgiven" by metallica? it's an experiment to see how much of this i can take before throwing a fit or worse, my stereo.

my god, i can remember when this song came out in 1991. i was a freshman in high school and i wanted nothing more than to attend a metallica concert. of course, my mom wasn't having it because she grew up on sabbath. i think she assumed that hetfield ate bats or something. so i listened to the tape over and over and over again, letting the teen angst build in my awkward, hormonal body. no one understood me! metallica understood me!

so, here i am, 15 years later, listening to the same song which made me weep as a kid. so far, all it's making me want to do is kick a wall and purge my brain of all memories of metallica. a sampling of the awful lyrics:

New blood joins this earth
And quickly he's subdued
Through constant pained disgrace
The young boy learns their rules

With time the child draws in
This whipping boy done wrong
Deprived of all his thoughts
The young man strugggles on and on he's known
A vow unto his own
That never from this day
His will they'll take away

what was i thinking? that's not dark. that's just pure drama.

luckily, i discovered pearl jam, nirvana, ned's atomic dustbin, teenage fanclub, hoodoo gurus, and liz phair not too soon after. thank god.

note: i do love me some old metallica. i'm just ripping on this song. carry on.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Master of Puppets still owns.

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home