\ Hip Displeasure: Chris » Film » The Criterion Project: "A Woman Is A Woman"

Hip Displeasure Logo Hip Displeasure Title

An independent music and pop culture commentary collective.

ChatRSSObnerhipdispleasure@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Chris » Film » The Criterion Project: "A Woman Is A Woman"

A while ago, on one of my excursions to Virgin Records Union Square, I noticed a particular section of DVDs for sale.
All sorts of genres, that would normally be placed in separate sections, were sitting there on the shelf as one.
I quickly came to realize this section was known as the Criterion Collection.
This, of course, piqued my interest.
It had occurred to me, these were classic films that I had heard of but had never watched.
In fact, out of the hundreds of films in stock, I had only watched three of them.
Being a huge fan of the cinema, I wondered why I had failed to take notice of films that were highly recommended by film critics and friends.
Films that were influential to some of my favorite current filmmakers.Right then, I knew I had to, at least, give the films in the Criterion Collection a chance.
Last weekend, began my official journey...


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A WOMAN IS A WOMAN
"Une Femme Est Une Femme"
Directed
by
Jean-Luc Godard
1961

Jean-Claude Brialy
Anna Krina
Jean-Paul Belmondo










Jean-Luc Godard is a genius at writing small talk that arouses interest and incites one's imagination.
In a genre such as romantic comedy, where the subject matter can be so ordinary, to be able to sustain an entire motion picture just on dialogue is no small feat.
Striptease artist Angela (Anna Karina) is at odds with her live-in boyfriend, Emile (Jean-Claude Brialy), when he refuses to have a baby.
After several attempts of trying to reason with him, Angela takes up with his best friend, Albert (Jean-Paul Belmondo), in order to make the laconic Emile jealous.
In the meantime, Godard brings to our attention several pleasant surprises and provides some funny and moving sequences.
None funnier than "the pronunciation of R's in the correct French dialect".
With that said, the plot is as insignificant as it can be.
Godard seems content in simply showering us with joyful moments of beautiful people fascinated by the allure of being in a musical.
Nevertheless, a minor snag in what is an otherwise charming, beautiful, exuberant, and most of all, enjoyable picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home