\ Hip Displeasure: Chris » Music » Blonde Redhead - "Misery is a Butterfly"

Hip Displeasure Logo Hip Displeasure Title

An independent music and pop culture commentary collective.

ChatRSSObnerhipdispleasure@gmail.com

Monday, October 09, 2006

Chris » Music » Blonde Redhead - "Misery is a Butterfly"

What is this obsession I have with Blonde Redhead?

Over two years after it’s official release, I still listen to Misery Is A Butterfly, at least, twice a week and has become, without a doubt, my favorite album of all-time. Or perhaps, it‘s not the band I'm obsessed with. Perhaps it’s the album.

I have this ritual of sorts every time I visit a record store. I make it a point to seek out the B’s in the Pop/Rock section simply to take a peek at my favorite album. Considering that I already own Misery Is A Butterfly, I still feel the need to pick it up and look at it. I’d prefer not to think what would happen if I, one day, walked into a store only to find that they’ve sold out of it. I must make sure to have my inhaler with me on that particular day.

I went one step further a few months ago when I actually bought a brand new sealed copy of the album for safe keeping. I don’t plan on opening it, and even though I’ll never listen to this particular copy, it still makes me smile, just knowing that I own it.

On mixes that I make, I must have a song from Misery Is A Butterfly included on all of them. It could be an all-international or strictly flamenco mix, and there is Doll Is Mine or Falling Man, once again, perplexing the listener.

Why do I do it? It comforts me.

Sometimes I think I’d even have sex with Kazu Makino, and I had sworn to myself that I’d never have sex with a woman again. But Kazu is different. To me, she’s become the voice in my head. A beautiful voice.

I keep reassuring myself that everyone has an album they’re obsessed with. As obsessed as I am, I don’t quite know for sure, but I’d like to think so. It’s just an innocent love affair with a special friend. And I’m alright with that.

Blonde Redhead Discography
Misery Is A Butterfly (2004)
Melody Of Certain Damaged Lemons (2000)
Melodie Citronique EP (2000)
In An Expression Of The Inexpressible (1998)
Fake Can Be Just As Good (1997)
La Mia Vita Violenta (1995)
Blonde Redhead (1995)

Website: www.blonde-redhead.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home